Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Samus Aran - Bounty Hunter

In the original Metroid ending, Samus Aran removes her Power Suit and reveals that she is female and, for some reason, this is supposed to be considered a "surprise twist". I never really understood why though.

After all, I'd been reading and watching G.I.Joe for years and, thanks to characters like Scarlett, Lady Jaye, and the Baroness, I knew female characters could be tough, resourceful, and get the job done. The reveal that she was female was about as much of a shock as if the "twist" was that she had blue hair. I just thought it was cool and went on with my business.

Anyway, for Samus Aran, I used the Heroclix Omega Prime Sentinel figure and let me say: I think it's highly likely that Omega Prime Sentinel was directly influence by Samus Aran.

Which is weird because the name "Omega Prime Sentinel" sounds like an obvious Transformers riff.

Anyway, I opted to paint Samus Aran in a kind of hybrid look: part Power Suit, part Zero Suit.

Now, I just need to get some resin so I can make a Metroid...

-c

No comments:

Post a Comment