Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Raptor - Cobra Falconer

Raptor is one of the most maligned figures of the original G.I.Joe run (possibly second only to Crystal Ball). I for one, think that's just not fair.

Raptor has a classic comic book origin story: the accountant who gets a little *too* into his hobby and tries to make money doing it. He could be a Batman villain.


When I was a kid, I imagined he used those talons on his boots as his weapon...that he would swoop one a Joe and give them a good clawing.

That being said, I do like how Larry Hama portrayed him in the Marvel comic. He was basically a falconry otaku who dressed up as a big bird to calm his falcons. Otherwise, he was kind of a spaz.

Raptor was on my list of "Figures I'll Paint if I Can Find a Cheap Enough Option", and I did find such an option: the Mage Knight Wereraven. Again, this is a mini that almost asks to be turned into a Joe: he's got the gloves, the necklace, no shirt, the talon feet. Of course, the wereraven head *is* his head, not a mask, but close enough.

At the risk of tooting my own horn, I think I'd made Raptor a bit of a badass.


-c

No comments:

Post a Comment